Monday, January 9, 2012

Best [Learning] Experience of 2011.

November of 2011 was an interesting month for me, and the main reason for it was "Breakaway" a short film production by a group of Columbia University MFA students. I was hired to do the Production Design and the experience I gained from it was invaluable.

The short was written and directed by Ivan Bukta and produced by Demond Robertson.

Many things were new for me in that production. First of all, it was the first project where I was hired from an ad on the web (as opposed to personal connections) – a total stranger to everyone involved. Second – I was brought into the project a week before shooting, and the sets had to be significantly altered for production. Third – it was the first project for me where the sets were interiors and their initial state had nothing to do with the project's story or characters, so I had both the freedom and the challenge to make those sets look as I saw fit based on my understanding of the director's vision and the story. And as challenging as all that was, it was fun!

Looking back at it I am also amazed at how much we accomplished at such a short period of time. During the pre-production, only the producer and the director were available to help me with preparations, and their availability was very limited, as they had both classes and work to attend to as well. Yet, we had a chance to
  • shoot family photos with the actors, edit them for aging effects, print and frame,
  • go costume shopping with the actress, and, more amazingly, get them all in one evening,
  • visit the set locations several times,
  • build special effects props,
  • shop for all the props and set dressings, and, again, to my great amazement, get all the things I wanted to have there.

I also had considerable freedom and support from the director and producer and I am very grateful to both of them for that.

The production itself lasted for 3 days. It was swift and hectic, and got tangled into a blur in my memory. But it also had a wonderful atmosphere of sincere enthusiastic collaboration, dedication and commitment from all people involved, many of whom met on the set for the first time.

I learned more in those 10 days than in all of my previous projects, and I have carefully filed those lessons into my mind for future use.

You can visit the "Breakaway" production blog for more information about the project and some production and behind the scenes stills.

No comments:

Post a Comment